Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Final TRI

0.5mile swim - 12mile bike - 3.1mile run
The Last Race of my 1st Tri-Season

After much hmm-ing & haa-ing, I finally decided to do a sprint distance for the Longhorn Triathlon Festival. This had been my original goal. I had toyed with the idea of doing an Olympic distance at the start of the program, but decided to see how my training & races go before making a call. After my last performance, I had pretty much decided I'll stick with Sprint distance for this season.

On the one hand it felt like a cop-out. Seeing how well my cousins did in the long course, inspired me to give the O-distance a shot. However, the Dilloman race brought me back to reality when I realized how much harder I needed to work before I was ready for an O-Distance. Primarily, I was still not comfortable doing free-style in open water, and my bike pace had not improve one bit. I was also warned about the Decker course (by far the hardest of all the courses in town). Apparently, it is a tough course to begin with so it's not the best choice for an O-Distance. Also, I've barely trained over the last few weeks, with all of the things that have been going on in my personal life.

In the end, I decided I could still leave some goals for my next season, and that the O-distance goal would give me something to look forward to. On reflection, I think somewhere along the way in my training, I had decided tri-ing would become a lifestyle for me, not just a one-off fling with endurance sports. I want to be able to enjoy myself through the races and not dread them, to finish strong and not be injured. For that, I want to build my endurance and prepare well.

My goal will be to finish strong for this race & have fun. Through it I want remember all the motivating reasons for why I tri.

5 comments:

Charanya said...

Awesome!!
I can't belive I will miss this one too!! It's gonna clash with my last Long long run before my big race!!

Have a blast!!!

comfortably numb said...

Ya..ya..excuses!

I will wait till you get this sprint under your belt. After that you will need a stern talking to. Just get your backside moving..will ya?

Sharanya said...

Yo, Mr. 100-miler, not everyone is as masochistic as you! :)

I suspect the "stern talking to" is probably for skipping half-m training thus far.. listen, instead of gyan, why don't you put your money where your mouth is & race me in a 800m swim? $100 says my rear will cross the finish before yours! :p

comfortably numb said...

ya...I was not the one who wanted to 'tri'. So, don't call me for a swim - (I would probably walk/run it if its not too deep :) )

Whatever happened to 'there is no freaking spoon'!!

'nways jokes apart..I think its a good decision to take stock and assess where you are. But, with your new goals, especially the half marathon.. just go out and finish them!

..BTW you better show up for the quality work out soon ..or you will be doing them back to back in one wednesday!

Shobs said...

Yayyy!!! I'm glad you're finishing your goal of doing three triathlons. I'll be routing for you. One of these days, we'll do a tri together. (I've never been to Texas... :)