Monday, November 10, 2008

Ready to Rock!

It's slowly dawning on me that my first half-marathon race for this season is coming up next week! No, less than a week. November 16, 2008, is about 6 six days away. The sold-out race looks to be an exciting one with over 30,000 people running it, and supposedly there will be a band at every mile! We're going to run in a group (though I suspect I will be alone for most of my run considering my speedy running buddies) as Team Asha, so it will definitely be a blast! What's also going to be fun is that we'll be spending the night before the race at a friend's place in San Antonio (thanks, Vishi!!) and head out for the race together.

Truth be told, my training has been anything but exciting. I haven't been as regular with training as I would have liked, and I confess that I'm missing the steely discipline and determination that is helpful for workouts. I've tried to focus on my form and consciously worked through mental chatter/complaints while running. Most of my workouts and runs have been pretty good, and fairly enjoyable. The fact remains, however, I can do more and train a lot harder. One of my goals for this race is to finish strong, and speed up in my last mile. What has limited my running is the fear that I will lose steam at the end. I need to overcome this fear if I hope to do any better.
This will be my second half-marathon since 2007, so it's pretty exciting. It is also one of my three half-marathon races this season, so I'm looking to build on my experience at this race. I'm ready to rock!

6 comments:

gk said...

A running haiku to get you through..its not mine and that is true :P

"I run, I escape
The crazy world fades away
My pace..is my peace"

comfortably numb said...

In the end all that matters is the run and not the race.

Charanya said...

Can't wait to Rock and Roll!! :)

Anonymous said...

Much luck babe.... you will rock and roll it! :)

halley claire said...

Good luck! But u wont need it :)

Stephanie Hardie said...

IT'S GONNA BE SO AWESOME!!!!!

I am freaking excited....can you tell
?!?!?!