Thursday, December 18, 2008

New Lens

I don't think my mom thought she would live to see the day when I could be enticed out of bed early in the morning by the idea of going for a walk. I jumped out of bed eagerly and told her I would go running with her. This was the post-virus run that I was both looking forward to and dreading at the same time. My coach warned me that one of the hardest runs would be the one after recovering from the virus. But after a 26-hour plane journey from Austin to Singapore, I was SO ready to exercise and stretch.

Fifteen minutes later, I was dressed in my gear and ready to the hit the road. My mom looked at my Nathan water bottle in grip with great curiousity and asked, "why do you need a water bottle for a 20min walk?" I laughed and said, "well, Ma, I might run for a bit longer than that!" Before she could reason with me further, I ushered her out of the door.

I set off for an easy run, and decided to see how far I could go. I took a route that I used to take by bus or car when I was a kid to Upper Seletar Reservoir. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2444474 That's one of the nicest things about returning home. It gives you a great insight into how far you've come - an opportunity for internal stock-taking. I would have never thought of running to the reservoir as a child or teenager, and yet here I was. It was like seeing Singapore in a whole new lens - through the eyes of a runner - scoping out running routes, appreciating the lush greenery, new roads and neatly paved sidewalks.

It took me about an hour to run, stroll, take a breather on the gorgeous reservoir banks, and reminisce about how I used to slide down the hilly slopes on cardboard boxes as kids. It was humid but windy, and when I returned, I was drenched in sweat. It felt awesome, though! I didn't feel the slightest bit sick or tired. I was refreshed.

And afterwards, I had my dream post-long run breakfast - Mom's crispy dosas (5 of them!) and steaming hot chai. Oh, I love being home.

Next plan - to convince my childhood buddies (now strapping, well-built, army officers) to accompany me on a long run through downtown Orchard Road! :)

5 comments:

Vishwas said...

glad you got back into the running shoes. isn't it awesome when you get to re-live your childhood only through another form that is running. I am sure it made the run easier. I like your description of the reservoir, I was trying to imagine it.
Oh, if I had dosas and chai as an after run breakie, then I too would run like a mad-dog!
Keep it up, and snoop around the good shops for goodies when you run up and down Orchard! :)

Charanya said...

I remember my dad dragging me to MacRitchie on saturday mornings and I would resist sooo much...and complain more when we had to run...haha...such an unfit kid I was! I would totally love to go to MacRitchie again and explore those trails!! Nice blog! Enjoy home! :)

Sharanya said...

Vishi - I suppose I could combine strength training (carrying shopping bags) with my Orchard Rd long run! haha! Will surely post a pic if I do! :p

Cha - running was my LEAST favourite activity too! I only liked sliding down the slopes of MacRitchie! I'm waiting to enjoy a milo-peng after one of my long runs..haha.. btw, I'm planning to do a long-run run from Sembawang to Novena (yes, to derbyshire mansion!)

Charanya said...

YIKES! How long is that?? haha...I just realized I'm clueless about how far things are from each other in Singapore..never noticed such thing when on the buses and taxis...haha

Lakshmi Yaddanapudi said...

Hey Sha!
Great job on getting back on the track! And I totally agree, dosas and chai can motivate me to run the fastest! ;)
Reliving your childhood is one things that can make you the happiest I suppose..always filled with fond memories...
Have fun at home!