Monday, March 9, 2009

Testing, testing...1, 2, 3...

Last week, I marked a month and a half since I had exercised. I was eager to get back to working out and training, but was under strict orders (doctor & family) to back off. It was awful, knowing that I could not exercise even if I wanted to. Since I have friends who lead an active lifestyle, I listened intently to their plans and activities. I felt like a kid who was told to stay home, and had to watch her friends play outside. While I was sad that I couldn't join them, it also motivated me to get better, sooner.

I sought advice from Steph about what she did to get back on her feet after an illness, and one of the things that she said really resonated with me. "I was sick of being sick". That's exactly how I felt after a month of bedrest and monotonous routine (wake up - work - home - eat - sleep. I reached a point where I was ready to get going with life again. Although, logically speaking, I think the rest was definitely important in helping with the healing process.

Finally, two weeks ago, the doc gave me the green light to exercise "in moderation", and warned me against strenuous exercise. Under the eagle-eye of my hubby, last week, I started doing short workouts - 25min stationary bike, 300m swim twice a week and 2mile run/walk just to see how my body responded.

One of my tri-buddies, Cha, had sketched out her OD plan and so I tagged along for a couple of workouts. Another buddy of mine, Dads, who wants to do her first tri ever this season signed up at my gym and we did a workout together. It definitely helps to have your buddies' support. That was a test-case week. I did not draw up a schedule for myself because I did not want to create something that I would find difficult to keep up (and result in further disappointment). The idea was to test the waters and see what I could handle. Fortunately, things went well. I backed off whenever I felt any strain, and went easy on myself. Swimming free-style was probably the hardest because the arm rotation caused discomfort.

What I also realized was that I was getting tired easily not only because of lack of exercise but also poor nutrition - junk food, desserts et al. Exercise and nutrition are intertwined, and so when you stop exercising, you may become less careful about about what you eat, because you know that you can sleep in late the night after a heavy meal (instead of having to workout).

The challenge for me is to find a balance between staying motivated and exercising in moderation. When I cannot do much, I find it hard to stay motivated, and when I am motivated, I tend to push myself. So, the theme for the upcoming season is probably going to be finding my inner balance (arguably a life-long effort) so that in the long-term my body is ready to handle some of the goals that I set to develop my full potential.

5 comments:

Charanya said...

Welcome back!! :P
Baby steps now are going to make you much stronger later in the season!! Can't wait to do more workouts together!

Stephanie Hardie said...

You'll be back to where you were in no time. :-)

Are you ready for some bricks??!? Mwahahahah!

Sharanya said...

Thanks, you guys! Your support really makes a difference to me.

Am planning to head for a bike ride on Sat, Steph. Good ol' Veloway, bright and early. If I last through the bike ride, I might try to run after that! :)

Itisha said...

"When I cannot do much, I find it hard to stay motivated, and when I am motivated, I tend to push myself."

That is so true with me too, but slow and steady progress will make you stronger and better in good time. In a recent issue of RW, they talk about how people, who exercise in moderation over long periods of time manage to enjoy their active lifestyle over longer periods.
I keep reminding myself of that goal to stay motivated.
And seriously, it doesn't take much to get back where you were. What matters is that this time you get there strong and healthy!
Good Luck Girl!

Charanya said...

How *early* are you planning to head to the Veloway?? I'd love to join! I can then go drop off my bike at J&A.