Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Revenge of the Flippers II

Flippers are not for humans, I'm sorry. They look ridiculous and are extremely brutal to ankles. I cramped again today for the first 2 drills. Fortunately, my ankles made a faster recovery this time around. The coach advised more Potassium. And water. I agree I don't drink enough water. Guess I will need to do some research on how to get more Potassium.

I ended the session today doing 250m with a 10-15s break after each lap today. Wasn't exhausted surprisingly. Including the drills & warm-up laps, the total distance comes to approx. 800m. Most of it I did in freestyle - or at least some version of it (pat on the back). Char's advice rung in my head - to kick off in freestyle, and break into breast stroke when I felt tired, and pick up on freestyle again. I might do that for the first race.

As I drove back on the picturesque 360, my mind wandered to race day. So after all this swimming, I was supposed to hop onto a bike and go about 4 times around the Velloway, and then run from roughly the Town Lake water stop to Lamar Bridge (that's how I've figured the distances). Holy cow.

I'm noticing subtle changes in physique. My fatigue must be causing hallucinations. After one week of training?! Arv assured me my calves & quads were more defined than before. Well, I hope the rest of me keeps up, or I'm going to start looking VERY weird.

5 comments:

Charanya said...

hahaha...trust me...u ain't hallucinating...these forced workouts do wonders for our physique...and unlike running...training for a triathlon gives you a more all-rounded workout as well!!

only problem is maintaining it AFTER the training!! :D

Stephanie Hardie said...

Bananas & Avocado!

gk said...

One of the oldest ones in the book...
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
P.Z. Pearce

Charanya said...

hahaha...gk...I JUST used that quote in my most recent blog entry too! :)

Sharanya said...

GK, people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.. :) Read: Ultramarathoners (hint hint) are the most insane species of all...