Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Spanner in the Works! :(

My goal this upcoming season was the Aviva 70.3 Ironman in Singapore. This year, the race was in September, and I figured that I would have enough time to train for next year's race - presumably in September too. The idea of doing a half-iron in my hometown really got me pumped! That motivated me to start training again, and I began seriously thinking about what would be needed to prepare for the half-iron training program.

Everything about the race seemed perfect! The course looked awesome - swim was at ECP (near my old high school!), and consisted of 2 loops of a 1/2mile course (MUCH better than out-and-back). The bike route was familiar to me (ECP to AYE) and the run was on a pretty flat course.

Yesterday, I visited the Aviva page, and to my horror, I saw that the date for next Aviva 70.3 was now scheduled for MARCH 22, 2009! This does NOT give me enough time to prepare for a half-iron distance (1.2mile swim, 56mile bike ride, 13.1mile run). When I read the cut-off times , any faint hope I had of still being able to train for it, were crushed. I'm not sure how to train or whether it's even feasible to train for 3 half-marathons AND a half-iron distance in 6 months!

Stepher, in her usual cheeriness, reassured me that there was still Aviva 2010, and that we could do another half-iron somewhere else in the interim.

Sigh. I feel like the rug has just been pulled from under my feet.

5 comments:

gk said...

Lets go to Canada!
http://www.outbackevents.ca/Oliver%20Half%20Web%20Site/index.htm

Anonymous said...

This sucks... can't believe they brought it forward by almost 6 months.. oh well, like Step said there 2010, by then those cut off times will look easy! :)

Keep at it, if not Singapore then go somewhere else- holiday and iron-man, perfect :)

Charanya said...

Aww...there's always 2010...and like G+ say, it will be cool to plan a different destination race as well! Not as exotic as our dear ol kampung, but will be fun nevertheless! Chin up! Meanwhile, there's still the 1/4 iron or the aquabike to look fwd to!

gk said...

"I'm not sure how to train or whether it's even feasible to train for 3 half-marathons AND a half-iron distance in 6 months!"

Like a wise man once told four young and not-so-young 'uns .."Don't come to me with crazy ideas...I might just help you turn it into reality" :)

Sharanya said...

I'm not giving up on my crazy plans just yet! :) Just the location will change, I suppose.