Monday, July 2, 2007

Look, Ma! No floats!

So I broke the news to my mum that I was doing a triathlon next week. She freaked out. Have you lost your mind? What are you trying to prove?? Why must you do this?? Not proving anything, ma, just want to see what my body is capable of doing. Besides, it's just 300m swim, 12 mile bike ride, 2 mile run..

12 MILE bike ride?? She gasped. That's crazy! So you and Arvind are doing this together? No, just me, ma, Arv has to learn to swim well. Mum was briefly amused. Have you been practising? When was the last time you swam? I told her I had joined a program to help me train. Of course, swimming in the open water would be something new..

OPEN WATER? She was shocked. Are you going to be wearing floats?? *sigh* No, ma, no floats, and no lifejackets. It's a RACE!

I could hear her marking the date mentally, and envisioning me doing a triathlon. I think she's mostly stunned because I was never athletic growing up (even when she encouraged me to try different sports). And here I am, attempting a triathlon as a personal challenge. I can barely believe it myself.

3 comments:

Charanya said...

HAHAHHAHA...My mom didn't believe when I told her either!! I was the bookworm growing up whereas my sister was the star athlete!!

I had to make her come watch me during a race for her to believe it!! :)

Awesome job girl!! I am so thrilled for you!! This weekend's the big race right??

gk said...

vive la nerds!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.