Saturday, July 7, 2007

Simply amazing TRI heroes..

Admittedly, I've got the flutters in the tummy the night before the race.

One of our friends, Joel Hayes, is an Ironman, and shared with me some inspiration. Last night, over dinner, and he told us about an amazing father and son team who've done 6 Ironman triathlons. The 44-yr-old son has cerebral palsy, and his 66-yr-old father has pulled & pushed him on his wheelchair through every single one of those races (and some). Joel said he was passed by the father & son team in one of the Ironman races (Team Hoyt), and he was blown away by them. It was very humbling indeed.

I watched the video and had tears in my eyes, feeling very small indeed. Nothing compares to this, people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM&mode=related&search=

I think the lucky triathletes are the ones who have their loved ones behind them 100%. That's where I consider myself very blessed to have a hubby who's so supportive and encouraging of my triscapades. He's my biggest fan & cheerleader.

I'm very fortunate to be able to compete at all. I'm going to have fun tommorrow, and be very grateful for the opportunity, and for all the support I get from loved ones & friends.

4 comments:

gk said...

Yup...it is truly inspiring....I had blogged about it sometime back under "World's strongest dad"...http://mountweazels.blogspot.com/2007 /02/worlds-strongest-dad.html

Gaurav said...

This is a truly inspiring story. It does make your eyes moist :D

Another triathlon story that is truly inspiring is that of John Blais.

Gaurav said...

And here is one more story about Sarah Reinertsen

Both John and Sarah completed the Hawaii Ironman in 2005. I saw the highlights of the event on NBC and I was truly moved by the perseverance

Charanya said...

Aren't these 2 just fabulous??? I've read about them and seen this video as well and it's truly inspiring!!!....We are defn very lucky to be able to take part in these races all healthy and with such wonderful support from friends and family!! That's what matters at the finish line more than anything else!!

Have a blast tomorrow!