Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Not Pink Floyd's Brick

I did a brick today. A brick I learned is a bike-run or swim-bike routine (Arv argued that the latter should be a swibe, not a brick.. and thus spake the pedantic hubby). It was my "rehearsal" for the race. So I did about 25 laps in my 15m apartment pool and then practised a transition (well, kind of anyway). Before I could get a laundry card from Gau's place, grey skies poured on me. Undeterred, I ran back to the gym to do the stationary bike for 45min. True to Sally Edwards' description of one's first triathlon issues, I found my legs a little wobbly after the bike ride (after averaging about 80 rpms).

I learned a couple of things. If you don't want to be stared at, avoid doing intense laps when a poolside party is going on. A little girl saw me swimming furiously across the pool and scrammed out of the way in fright. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting to swim amidst people (not quite as interesting for them, though) and get a feel for swimming in a crowd. Another thing is that its tough to put on bike pants after your swim. So me thinks I'll stick with wearing the lycra shorts on top of my swimsuit and keeping them throughout.

4 comments:

Charanya said...

Girl!! Wear your bike shorts while you swim...it's impossible to get them on after...your legs are tired and wobbly + also wet...don't waste time at the transition on this...focus more on getting your bike helmet and shoes on!

I wore my shorts over my swimsuit during my 1st tri as well!...Now I've graduated to a tri-top...which you can swim, bike AND run in!

Charanya said...

Oh and one more tip...be sure to have your race bib pinned onto the T-Shirt you plan to wear for the bike/run beforehand so you don't waste time doing that during transition as well!!...

Sharanya said...

Tri-gear is so EX, woman! Wah kau. Kena pengsan when I saw the price!

Charanya said...

I know!! Which is why it took me a YEAR to finally buy one!!!