Thursday, July 5, 2007

Race Prep & atahasa ("elaborate rituals")

I confess I went to see the Texas Ski Ranch today. I know what you're thinking - scaredy cat! Whatever. I'm the one who'll be in the middle of a lake, not you, so I don't care for your judgement, quite frankly. Arv, inspite of his lousy bout of allergies and pains, said in his usual supportive way he'd accompany me. I have been having the butterflies in the tummy thinking about swimming in open waters. I read in Triathlon Life that preparing for your swim in the open waters can feel like a death march. So I wanted to see what I was in for, rather than risk panic spasms on race day. Quite an unglamourous way to go, passing out at the start of a rookie race. As it turned out, the lake wasn't at all intimidating. Only 9 ft, the manager told me. Pshh.

After that, I went to hunt for tri-gear and/or race gear. I don't have a triathlete's body yet, so none of the two-pieces worked for me. I'll probably stick with my swim suit & wear my bike shorts on top of it, and then add a tee for the bike/run. Inspite of not getting any swanky sportswear, my shopping at Academy yielded me a significant bill for sports sandals, Gu-shots, camelback and a visor.

Oh, and it seems, Mum had told Dad that his daughter was planning to risk her life at a lake for a triathlon. His calm reply to her was, relax, it's only a lake. Not like she's swimming out into the choppy ocean waters or anything. He told me, you'll do well, baby, good luck for your race.

4 comments:

Charanya said...

Wow...you really have more gear than I did for my 1st race!! I had NO Gus...NO camelbacks...NO bike shorts....quite a disaster...so me thinks you are just gonna be fine!!

And I told you that the Ski Ranch wasn't REALLY a lake! :) If you can, head over to the Barton Springs pool and try to do a couple of laps wearing your bike shorts...you'll want to get used to swimming in those in a lake-type waterbody!...

Charanya said...

Oh and I'm sure you'll do well, baby, good luck for your race!

Give me a call when you're done!!

:)

Sharanya said...

woman, will take u up on the Barton Springs pool suggestion! Let me know when u're free..

Charanya said...

I'm leaving to H-Town today - so can't meet up with you before the race!! HAVE A BLAST!! Am sure you'll kicka$$!!